Monday, October 1, 2007

Stapler of the Week Archive- matac 7

matac 7 chrome and blue finish

matac box front (above) and back (below)
The matac 7 comes to the Stapler of the Week collection from Italy by way of Australia. I bought two, one in white and one in blue. I've had difficulty finding references to either the matac 7, catam (I do realize that's matac spelled backwards) or any recognizable markings on the stapler. It is, however, a near dead ringer for the Zenith 548 made by Balma, Capoduri & C.. Sure, there are some design differences in the casing and the obvious rear vs. front loading staples. I'm guessing the matac 7 was a design knock off marketed decades after the distinctive Zenith design was fairly well established.

Guessing aside, what interests me more are the differences is design sensibilities across cultures. It's not an original exploration by any means, but European staplers have a very different feel and look when compared to those in the USA. Their appearances are very clinical, almost like medical devices. I've found myself more drawn to these foreign manufacturers of office tools... the typewriters (3) I brought along on our move to NY are all Olivettis.

Excerpt from the Stapler of the Week, October 9, 2007.

No comments: