Saturday, May 24, 2008

Stapler of the Week Archive- Bostitch P-1

Bostitch P-1 black finish steel

The Bostitch P-1 fits neatly in the palm of my hand with my pinkie finger inserted in the finger grip. It took me a while to understand how to load the stapler. It turns out to be a front loading stapler as the rest of the stapler and its mechanism is concealed within the casing. The handles of the plier stapler have also been contained, making the P-1 remarkably compact tool.

Designed by John F. Cavanagh in 1933, the P-1 was described as a "pocket fastener-applying implement." Cavanagh had such an eye for compactness that the designs allowed the finger grip to be folded up into the casing when not in use. This example does not have that capability yet it loses no favor in my eyes.

detail of J.F. Cavanagh patent 1,994,567 Pocket Fastener Applying Implement

Excerpt from the Stapler of the Week, May 24, 2008.

7 comments:

Jon Johnson said...

wow, that is nice! I'd love one of those! It would be nice if it had the fold in finger grip though, that's a great touch.

Felix said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mikeczech said...

I just found one of these , thanks for the info .

Unknown said...

I just bought one of these in great condition at a garage sale. Does anyone know if there are staples available to fit it?

Eric Rosell said...

I just found one of these that comes with booklet and orginal box. Has staples. I just listed it on my esty site, VintageChocolat

Here is the link (per your approval of course)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/179202463/vintage-stapler-1933-bostitch-p1-hand

Fighting4Rkids said...

Made by my great grandfather... and what a story that goes along with it! It’s a beautiful and very functional piece. He also invented one for Swingline strictly because of this gorgeous piece and the story that goes along with it- being poor and Irish when people took from you whatever they wanted. Including your inventions. We’re happy so many people love his work after all these years!

Kelly Crosser Alge said...

We found one of these in my husband’s grandmother’s things- it’s pristine in the box with staples. We haven’t been able to find any information about it anywhere else but here- we are looking to sell it as part of her estate, does anyone know what we should ask for it? Thanks!